Wednesday, May 09, 2007

AJ Hackett Bungy Kawarau Bridge

On arrival to the Kawarau Gorge we stopped off at the original Bungy Jump site. Here we were given a quick presentation on the Secrets of Bungy Jumping. to be honest I do not remember too much as I had put my name down to do a bungy jump and was getting very nervous. After the presentation I went outside to see some people jump. Looking over from the side of the viewing platform I did not think it looked that bad so I went and checked in and got my ticket.

After wandering around for a while I eventually went up onto the bridge to get kitted out. I had a waist harness on and then had a towel wrapped round my legs which was attached with a piece of rope which was then attached to the bungy cord - what on earth was I doing there!! It was at this point I realised that I would not be able to just run and jump off the bridge as my legs were tied together! So I slowly shuffled across to the front of the ledge and then panicked! A quick smile for the cameras and everyone watching and then it was the count down. 5.......4......3......2......1.............. "I can't do this, what am I doing here!". After being told that the longer I stood there the worse I would feel. I was then told to look up at the bridge in front and on 1 just to fall over the edge. 5.....4.....3.....2......1

Just about at the point in the photo above I decided I could not do this and tried to stop myself but.........it was too late.I have never screamed so loud and been so scared. I really don't remember seeing much, I think I must have closed my eyes! Eventually I got lowered onto the boat waiting to collect me at the bottom. I have never been so glad to see a boat! I then made the long walk back up to t he viewing platform to be met by everyone. The hugs they gave me meant so much - thanks guys you were a great support. I continued shaking for about an hour after, however I was not feeling 100% until about 24hours after!

No need to worry - this is one activity I will NEVER be doing again. The feeling of throwing yourself from 43m is awful. I really do not see how people can enjoy this and do it from higher heights! I have complete respect for those of you who do although you are all mad lol.

To see more photos go to http://www.rapidimage.net/media/mediaBrowse.php

Still can't believe I did it!! Thanks Murray for my birthday present, really wish I enjoyed it more but so glad I have done it.

xxxxxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home