Friday, June 29, 2007

Wellington Continued

Hey guys, I hope this works as the website is playing up again! I am afraid I forgot my CD with the photos on it so there wont be any lovely pictures to look at until I come home.

On Thursday 24th May I went on a Lord of the Rings Tour round Wellington. Our tour guide was one of the many elves at Helm's Deep so we got lots of insider information - if you want to find out about it you will have to email me as I don't have time to write it all down here! During the day we visited a number of different locations. Our first stop was at the wood on Mt Victoria. This was where Hobbiton wood was filmed. We then went onto the sites of Isengard,Rivendell,Helms Deep, Minas Tirith and Fords of Isen. The quarry where Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith were filmed: We also went past the workshop, digital editing building and the studios. The studios are just an old paint factory and there is nothing there to give away the fact that it is a studio - very different to Hollywood!! It was a good day and I learnt a lot about Lord of the Rings. It has even made me a bit of a fan - it has taken me a few years to read some of the books and get round to watching some of the films but I have eventually caught up with everyone else.

On Friday 25th May the weather was lovely and so I decided to stay an extra day in Wellington so that I could see all the places I wanted to! Natasha and I went up Mount Victoria to get an amazing view of Wellington. It was lovely being up there. There was also a sign telling us we were 11,413miles from Edinburgh!! In the afternoon I then got the cable car up to the Botanical Gardens. The gardens in Wellington are lovely and on a hill - thankfully we had bought a single for the cable car so we didn't have to climb back up to the top to catch the cable car back down. In the gardens I had great fun with the sundial of human involvement - it didn't take much to amuse me that day. I had to stand on top of the place with today's date marked and then I would be able to tell the time from the stones in front of me. It will make more sense when you see the photos. In the evening Natasha, Gill and I went back to the Welsh Bar for a few drinks. It is situated on an island int he middle of the road and apparently used to be the old public toilets. The welsh barman was very funny and it was a good laugh. We then met up with Dan and went to see Pirates 3 at the Embassy Theatre. It was a great night.

Saturday 26th May was my last day in Wellington. In the morning Natasha and I met up again to go swimming - this time we actually did some swimming. We then went back to the Te Papa museum to see the floor we had missed before. It was really interesting and it took us about 2 hours to work our way round it. I had a relaxing afternoon and sorted my bags out for heading off to Taupo the next day. In the evening I went out for drinks with Natasha and Gill. We went back to the Welsh bar and watched some of the rugby then went to an Irish bar. It was a fun night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home